• Can I attend lectures at UCT?
    • If you want to attend UCT lectures and academic courses, you may be able to register as an occasional student.  When you complete the course you will be given a certificate of attendance with the course details and your transcript of results.  To register, you will need to fulfil certain academic admissions requirements.

  • Will I get a student card?
    • Yes, you will receive a student card on your first day, which will allow you access to the buildings you need to use, libraries, computer labs, and other UCT facilities.

  • Do I have to pay to use UCT facilities?
    • As a UCT student you will not have to pay to use most of the University’s facilities.  Some facilities, such as the UCT Gym are charged at the same rate as to other UCT staff and students.

About the English Language Centre

  • Where are most of the students from?
    • Students are from all over the world and we try to make sure there is a good mix of nationalities in each class.

  • Where will my classes take place?
    • Most classes take place at the centre’s main site on Hiddingh campus. Some classes may take place at the Rondebosch campus, and you can get there and back using the Jammie Shuttle, the University’s private bus service.

  • What will happen on my first day?
    • When you arrive you will have orientation and level testing.  First, you will complete a short level test and interview, so we can find out which class level will suit you best, and this is followed by a short orientation talk about the Centre and life in Cape Town and a tour of the school and Hiddingh campus.  Your first classes will begin after lunch if your course includes afternoon classes, and after class you have the option of going on a tour of Cape Town to get to know the city.

  • Will I have access to a computer?
    • Yes, you can use one of the UCT computer labs on Hiddingh Campus.

  • Is there free Wi-Fi?
    • Yes, all UCT campuses and residences have free Wi-Fi.

How to Apply to UCT (Undergraduate)

  • Can I apply to UCT?
    • Yes, anyone can apply to undergraduate studies at UCT.  However, you must fulfill certain requirements before your application can be considered:

      1. You must have a matriculation exemption certificate, in most cases this will be foreign conditional exemption.
      2. Your qualifications must have been certified, translated into English and verified by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA).
      3. You must show that your level of English is good enough to study at UCT through an IELTS or TOEFL certificate.

      If you meet these requirements the Faculty you have applied to can consider your application.  Each Faculty has different requirements for admission, which can be found in the undergraduate prospectus.  The university receives over 20,000 applications for about 4000 first year places, so admission is very competitive and you will need excellent grades to be accepted.

  • When should I apply?
    • The academic year in South Africa runs from February to November.  The closing date for undergraduate applications is 30th September for admission the following year.  So, if you want to start in February 2019 you must apply by 30th September 2018.

  • What should I do first?
    • You need to complete the following steps:

      First, get your ID documents, high school certificates and academic transcript translated by a sworn translator and certified.

      Second, submit your certificates to SAQA for verification.

      Third, apply to UCT.

      Fourth, apply for matriculation exemption.

      You do not need to wait until you receive an acceptance from the university to apply for matriculation exemption, but you do need to have an application number.

      Fifth, complete your IELTS or TOEFL exam.

  • How do I apply?
    • To apply, go to https://www.uct.ac.za/apply/applications/forms/ and select ‘apply online’.  You will then complete an online application form.  To complete the application, you will have to upload various required documents, including your high school qualifications and your IELTS or TOEFL certificate.

  • How do I get my qualifications verified by SAQA?
    • Go to https://dfqeas.saqa.co.za/dfqeas/user/home and register as a user on the SAQA website.  You will need to complete their application form and submit your ID document and original copies of your certificates.  You will also need to pay a fee – note that only credit card payments or cash payment into their bank account are accepted, not bank transfers.  The SAQA verification process usually takes 4-8 weeks.

  • What is Matriculation Exemption?
    • In South Africa, only those who have completed a certain level of pre-university study can be considered for admission to university.  For international students, this is the equivalent to a pass in grade 12 of the National Senior Certificate (NSC).  The Department of Higher Education looks at the high school systems in all countries, and decides whether they are equivalent to the NSC.

  • How do I apply for Matriculation Exemption (ME)?
  • What happens if I don’t qualify for Matric exemption?
    • Unfortunately, high school leaving certificates from many countries are not sufficient to be granted matriculation exemption. In this case you can return to your country and study the first year of a degree course in your country. This will usually be sufficient to qualify for matric exemption.

  • How do I register for my IELTS or TOEFL test?
    • IELTS exams are run in Cape Town on a regular basis.  Go to http://www.britishcouncil.org.za/exam/ielts/registration to register for the exam.  You will usually need to get a minimum score of 7.0 to be considered for admission to UCT.  You will receive your results two weeks after you take the test.  TOEFL exams are run less frequently in Cape Town, for information please consult the www.ets.org.

  • Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of being accepted?
  • When do I find out if I have been accepted?