However, I probably do not need to stress the importance of meetings. It is probably the only opportunity where we as members can come together to discuss problems, share ideas and suggest solutions. Therefore, it is crucial to ensure that we are on point at all times.
Here are some easy phrases from the business English classroom to memorise for your next meeting:
1. Asking for Repetition
- I didn’t catch that. Could you repeat that, please?
- I missed that. Could you say it again, please?
- Could you run that by me one more time?
- Have I made that clear?
- Do you see what I’m getting at?
- Let me put this another way…
- I’d just like to repeat that…
- I’m afraid I don’t quite understand what you’re getting at.
- Could you explain to me how that is going to work?
- I don’t see what you mean. Could we have some more details, please?
- Do you mean that…?
- Is it true that…?
- Would you mind spelling that for me, please?
Join our Business English course at the UCT English Language Centre and find out more about the use of English in a business context. For further reading on presentation skills in a business context, read our blog post here.