If you are thinking of coming to UCT English Language Centre to study English, or have already booked your English course and trip, then this is what you can expect once you arrive here. Juliette always sends a detailed email to you before you leave for Cape Town, but this is a typical example of someone arriving a day before their course starts, and their first day at the Centre:
1. If you have booked an airport transfer you will be greeted at the airport by a driver who will then take you through to your residence. The drive into the city will take about 15 minutes (if there is no morning traffic) and on a clear day you will be able to see Table Mountain about 10 minutes into your drive, so be on the lookout! If you arrive when it is dark you will see the beautiful city and harbour lights.
2. The driver will drop you off at your student residence where you will check in and be taken to your room. They will show you around the residence and answer any questions you may have about cooking, laundry, the social room and their social programme.
3. Once you have your keys, you can start to settle into your room and make this your new home-away-from-home.
4. Depending on how much time you have, or how tired you are, you may already decide to start exploring Cape Town a bit. There are many shops, bakeries, restaurants and tourism information centres right on your doorstep.
5. On Monday morning you will walk the short 10 minute walk to Hiddingh campus. We advise you use the main entrance to the campus on your first day because you will not have access yet without a student access tag. Ask security at the main gate how to get to the Rosedale Building and then we will buzz you up. After you get your student access tag you will be able to use the Rosedale Building entrance.
6. When you get inside, Juliette – the Director of Studies, will greet you and take down some details from you before letting you take your placement test. This placement test is simply to make sure we put you in the right level for your English course. You don’t want to be in a level too high or too low for you.
7. After your placement test, Juliette will show you around campus (the library, computer labs, access to the building, the local campus coffee shop, etc.), show you how to access wifi on campus, and answer any questions you may have about class, your residence or Cape Town in general. If you haven’t already sent her a photo of yourself she will take one of you and order your access tag so that you can start to make use of all the options available to you as a UCT student as soon as possible.
8. Now you are ready to start your English course! You will be introduced to your teacher and the other students in your class and your learning can begin.
9. After your first day, you will have met quite a few new people and you may be feeling a bit tired and overwhelmed. After all, everyone you speak to will be talking in English! Don’t forget that all your fellow students will have experienced their first day as well, so they are very understanding and will be happy to help you with any questions you may have.
10. Hopefully after just a few days, you will have settled in and you can properly begin to enjoy your stay with us and take advantage of the many exciting things to do here! Why not try Cape Town like a Local, a walk recommended by teacher Liam, on your first full weekend here.
We hope you enjoy your time with us and look very forward to meeting you and help you learn or improve your English.