Hiddingh Campus

Photos of Hiddingh campus, the University of Cape Town's oldest campus as well as pictures of the UCT English Language Centre classrooms and facilities available to all students on Hiddingh campus.

UCT English Language Centre | Rosedale Building | Hiddingh Campus
The UCT English language Centre, the most recent addition to the University of Cape Town’s Faculty of Humanities, is located one the University’s Hiddingh Campus.

Hiddingh campus is the oldest University of Cape Town campus and is rich in its history and architecture. 
According to ARC (Archive and Curatorship) at UCT, “Hiddingh Campus is centrally located on Orange Street, at the foot of Table Mountain, in close proximity to the historic Mount Nelson Hotel, Labia Cinema, Government Avenue, SA Museum, Iziko National Gallery and the Company’s Gardens.
It is home to the oldest extant structure of the University of Cape Town, The Egyptian Building, now housing sculpture workshops and studios. This striking Neo-Classical building was completed and officially opened in 1841 on land granted by Sir Benjamin D’urban. It is the first building to be built for the express purpose of higher education in South Africa. Professor A.N.E Changuion, whose textbooks were some of the first published in South Africa, began the first classes in this new school location with a mere sixteen students. The University of Cape Town was actually established twelve years earlier, founded in 1829, as the South African College, a high school for boys based in the Orphanage off Long Street.” Read more here

And while all the buildings have a special history to them, the Old Medical School, opened in 1912, was the first Medical School in the whole of Southern Africa. Today the Centre for Curating the Archive and the Department of Visual and Art History occupy the building, and before that the Centre for Conflict resolution and the State Pathologists. 

If you would like to know more about the history of each of the buildings on Hiddingh Campus, you can find out more here

School, Class and Campus