English Language Teaching can be an enjoyable and rewarding career which attracts people for a variety of reasons. For many, it is an opportunity to see the world, living and working in places that others only dream of holidaying in. It may offer an opportunity to learn new language, immerse yourself in the customs and cultures of another country, or gain insight into a completely different society from your own. Some will teach abroad for a few years before moving into other careers, while others will continue to develop and grow in the industry and may become teacher trainers, course writers, managers or even open their own school.
The UCT Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) course will provide you the skills and knowledge you need to succeed as an English Language Teacher. The four week course consists of 60 hours of input sessions and 60 hours of classroom observation and teaching practice. Assessment is based on coursework assignments, observed teaching practice and a portfolio of work. The course is accredited by the University of Cape Town.
TEFL Course content
- Introduction to TEFL
- lesson planning
- teaching methodologies
- receptive and productive skills
- pronunciation and phonology
- activities and resources
- facilitating learning and communication
- classroom management
- language awareness
- developing and using teaching aids
- error correction
Course Fees 2017
Course fees: R12,500.00
- 9th January 2017 – 4th February 2017
- 17th July 2017 – 11th August, 2017
- 20th November 2017 – 15th December, 2017
All material and exam fees are included. If you require accommodation for the duration of your course, please contact email@example.com
In order to register for the course you should:
* be at least 18 years old;
* have successfully completed high school;
* be proficient in English;
* be able to commit to 4 weeks of intensive training the whole day from Monday to Friday and do homework (i.e. it is not possible or advisable to attend this course if you have other commitments such as work or studies)
An undergraduate degree is an advantage, but not required.
Please note that it is not necessary to be a native speaker of English, or to have previous teaching experience. If English is not your first language, you will need to demonstrate your proficiency level through any one of the following: IELTS band 7.0; TOEFL 96 points; Cambridge Advanced Examination (CAE).
To apply, please download and complete the TEFL Application Form 2017 and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org.